Lifechem Products

Propanephosphonic acid anhydride

Propanephosphonic acid anhydride is an anhydride of propanephosphonic acid. Its structure is a cyclic trimer, with a phosphorus–oxygen core propyl groups, and additional oxygens attached. The chemical is a useful reagent for peptide synthesis reactions, where it activates the carboxylic acid partner for subsequent reaction with amines. It is commercially available as a 50% solution in DMF or ethyl acetate as a slightly yellow mixture.

Molar mass: 318.182 g·mol−1
Chemical formula: C9H21O6P3
Hazard statements: H290, H314
PubChem CID: 111923

Precautionary Statements:

  • Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames, and other ignition sources. No smoking.
  • Keep the container tightly closed.
  • Keep only in original packaging.
  • Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection/ hearing protection.

IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water.
IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, and easy to do. Continue rinsing.

Signal Word – Danger
Storage class – 3 Flammable liquids
WGK – WGK 1 slightly hazardous to water
Disposal – 11 Organic acid halides, anhydrides, and isocyanates can be added dropwise to an excess of methanol (Cat. No. 822283) to convert them into the corresponding methyl esters or methyl carbamates. If necessary, neutralize with sodium hydroxide solution (Cat. No. 105587).

CAS No :


EC Number :



Product Specification

  • vapor pressure  97 hPa ( 20 °C)
  • Quality Level  200
  • Form  Liquid
  • Bp  77 °C/1013 hPa (ethyl acetate)
  • Transition Temp  flash point -4 °C (ethyl acetate)
  • Density  1.08 g/cm3 at 20 °C
  • Storage Temp  2-8°C
  • Assay (NMR)  ≥ 40.0 %
  • Pyropropanephosphonic acid (NMR)  ≤ 10.0 %
  • Propanephosphonic acid (NMR)  ≤ 0.50 %
  • Ethyl acetate (calculated)  ≤ 50.0 %

Safety Information As Per GHS

Hazard Statement :  

  • Highly flammable liquid and vapor.
  • May be corrosive to metals.
  • Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.
  • May cause an allergic skin reaction.
  • May cause drowsiness or dizziness.