Benzyl Chloromethyl Ether is a reagent in the preparation of benzoyl-hydroxy pyrimidine-diones, which are dual inhibitors of HIV reverse transcriptase and integrase.
|CAS Number :||100-44-7|
|Melting Point :||-39 C|
|Boiling Point :||179|
|Molecular Weight :||126.59 g/mol|
|Molecular Formula :||C7H7Cl|
|Systematic (IUPAC) :||CBzl-Cl; Benzile; Benzyle; ai3-15518; C6H5CH2Cl; NCI-06360; Benzylchlorid; tolylchloride; α-Chlortoluol; A-CHLOROTOLUENE|
Personal security [Benzyl Chloromethyl Ether]
Safety eyewear, gloves, and adequate ventilation are also recommended. Consider it a possible carcinogen.
Toluene or the Blanc ch can be free radical chlorinated to produce benzyl chloride. Benzyl chloride, also known as -chlorotoluene, is an organic molecule composed of a phenyl group that has been substituted with a chloromethyl group.
benzene loromethylationBy combining benzyl alcohol with a large molar excess of strong hydrochloric acid, benzyl chloride can be easily produced.
In chemical synthesis, benzyl chloride is used to introduce the benzyl protecting group into alcohols (resulting in the corresponding benzyl ether) and carboxylic acids (resulting in the corresponding benzyl ester). [Benzyl Chloromethyl Ether]
Because it can be used in the production of amphetamine-class drugs, the Drug Enforcement Administration monitors benzyl chloride sales as a List II drug precursor chemical.
In a hydrolysis process, benzyl chloride interacts with water to generate benzyl alcohol and hydrogen chloride. Hydrochloric acid is formed when the latter is dissolved in water. Because benzyl chloride is extremely volatile at ambient temperature, it can easily reach the mucous membranes, where hydrolysis occurs and hydrochloric acid is produced.
This explains why benzyl chloride is a lachrymator and was used in warfare. It’s also extremely irritating to the skin.Benzyl chloride rapidly combines with metallic magnesium to form a Grignard Reagent, albeit the resulting benzyl magnesium chloride dimerizes due to the stability of the benzyl radical. This makes using benzyl Grignard reagents undesirable.
There is limited evidence that benzyl chloride causes cancer in animals.
Although the epidemiological data were insufficient to assess the carcinogenicity of benzyl chloride alone, they do provide some evidence that employment in the production of benzoyl chloride and its chlorinated toluene precursors, which involves benzyl chloride exposure, poses a carcinogenic risk to humans. [Benzyl Chloromethyl Ether]
- Benzyl chloride may cause occupational exposure during its manufacture and use in the synthesis of benzyl phthalates, benzyl alcohol, quaternary ammonium salts, medicines, and benzyl esters; however, no data on exposure levels were available.
- There were no data available to assess this compound’s mutagenicity or teratogenicity in humans.
- The Working Group had no access to any case reports or epidemiological studies involving benzyl chloride alone.
- Six incidences of respiratory cancer have been recorded among benzoyl chloride manufacturing workers in two small factories who may have been exposed to benzyl chloride.
- The incidents happened in young workers, three of whom were nonsmokers.
Note / Government Notification:
These chemicals are those that are employed in the manufacture of the banned substances and are critical to the synthesis of the substances. Import and export of any (Control Substance) products are subject to your country’s government laws/control substance ACT.
- The material on this website is designed to assist you in working safely, but it is not a replacement for a comprehensive Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
- MSDS forms are available for download on the websites of numerous chemical suppliers.
- in addition, the material on the PTCL Safety website, The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) was passed by the United States Congress in 1970 as Title II of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act.
- The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) is the federal drug policy of the United States that regulates the manufacturing, importation, possession, use, and distribution of certain substances.
- The Act also acted as the country’s implementation of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. [Benzyl Chloromethyl Ether]
- Human carcinogen with high probability.
- Contact with the eyes may result in long-term harm.
- Inhalation, ingestion, and skin contact are all hazardous.
- Burns are caused by corrosive substances.
- CNS depression is possible.
- UK EH40/2000 STEL 1.5 ppm.
- TWA 8h UK MEL (EH40/2000) 0.5 ppm.
[Benzyl Chloromethyl Ether]